[SunRescue] Catalyst 2100 switch

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 11:56:25 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:42:04AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 12:20:19PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> > I used to impress people by playing "name that connection speed" just by
> > listening to the handshaking.  Not that it's all that hard to do, but some
> > people are just easily impressed.

> Yeah, I used to be able to listen to a handshake and go "okay, 28.8... no..
> 26.4... no... 21.6.  crap."  You can definitely hear it re-train for a lower
> speed.

Yup, I remember doing that.  I probably couldn't do it anymore, though,
not without a couple of months to pick it back up.

> > its when I could start judging link quality by listening to the data
> > stream that I started scaring myself.

> Now *thats* scary.

I know what he means, though.  I used to do the same, running a BBS.  In
fact, it got to the point that I could recognize most of my regular
callers by their connect sounds.  Each make and model of modem had its
own fairly unique acoustic signature.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;