[SunRescue] RE: 9 Gigs or better in an SS/20

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 09:30:19 CDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> I am not familiar with LVD drives, but I suspect that is your problem
> - as I said beofre, my 9 Gig drive is an SCA drive.

FYI...

LVD/SE disks come with either SCA or HD68 interface. So do HVD and SE
disks. The physical interface won't tell you what type of drive it is.

Best way to tell is either check the model number (on Seagates, LC is LVD,
WC is Wide SE, I think) or look on the label for a legend like "LVD/SE" or
"Ultra2" or "Ultra160" to see if it's LVD. Failing both of these, grab a
LVD controller in a PC and plug the disk in to it. :) It should tell what
standard it detects.

Oh, and on the terminators mentioned on another post, there are
terminators that work with HVD, LVD, and SE. We got them with a raid array
we bought at my last job. Termination is apparently a lot easier to handle
for multiple standards than the actual interface, since there's
substantially different voltages involved in HVD vs LVD.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows