[SunRescue] Max harddisk size for Sun Sparc 20

Guess rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 5 05:40:32 CDT 2001

Hi there,

Some time ago I did ask a similar question on this.
And someone responded that SS20 has no problem
supporting 9GB hd. Also it should be no problem
supporting 18GB hd as well. I believe what the person
told me was true coz I can see ppl selling SS20 comes
with 18GB harddisk.

However when I tried to connect a 18GB hd(internal)
and execute probe-scsi-all at the OK prompt.
Unfornately SS20 can't detect it. Then I tried to
connect it externally(ultra scsi unipack - 611
casing). It still not able to detect it.

I thought maybe 18GB is too big for SS20, this time I
tried with 9GB. No luck, still can't detect, either
connected internally or externally.

Then again I tried it with 4GB, thank God this time it
works.

The hd model for 4GB(Seagate ST34371WC), 9GB(Seagate
ST39103LC) and 18GB(Seagate ST318404LC).

Is it b'coz SS20 can only support SCSI-2 fast wide
interface harddisk(model no. ends with "WC") and not
Low Voltage Differential(model no. ends with "LC") ?

Or I didn't put a terminator for the unipack ? I
thought 611 casing unipack no need terminator ?

Does someone out there currently having a 9GB or 18GB
hd in SS20 ? May I know what is the model no. ?

Thank you.