[Packrats] Re: [SunRescue] OT: AS/400 stuff

Paul Khoury rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 4 22:33:27 CDT 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:53:40 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 07:20:44PM -0700, Paul Khoury wrote:
>> Does anyone here know a lot about AS/400's?
>> I know someone who has a 3174 for sale, is this worth buying?
>> I have a 9402-200 AS/400 that I'd like to get running someday (If I
>> can get a copy of the OS).  Also, does anyone know what RAM it uses?
>> I just got a PS/2 Model 95 from the same people, I thought I might be able to
>> use the RAM in the AS/400 also as it appears to be parity or ECC.
>> THanks all,
>> Paul
>
>Dont bother with the AS/400 - if it didnt come with OS/400, you will
>find it *imposible* to get for the older CISC-based boxes.  For the
>PPC-based machines, its easier, but still hard.

Mine is the black (PowerPC) box.  The CISC boxes suck, especially without
an OS.

 I had a small
>AS/400 model 200 box, and ended up almost giving it away just to get
>rid of it after spending 3 weeks trying to get an OS.
>
>Sad, but true.

Yeah, I can't even find a damn FAQ on this, yet there's FAQs for old PS/2s.
I had an RS/6000, but lost about $200 from it and sold it on ebay because
I couldn't get the OS and the machine to work.  =(

Paul