[SunRescue] re: Catalyst 2100 switch (Lookee, Bill's a modem!)

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 4 20:45:28 CDT 2001

> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:08:34 -0500
> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> To: geeks at mrbill.net, rescue at mrbill.net
> Subject: [SunRescue] Catalyst 2100 switch
>
> Just got a Cat2100 (Grand Juncton FS2100) off eBay.  It works fine
> if I just plug everything in, but when I connect a null-modem
> cable (one that worked fine with a 1516M hub) to the serial port
> of the 2100 and my PC, this is all I get:
>
> ATQ0H0
>
> Any suggestions?  I'd like to get into the management interface.

It looks like it thinks you're a modem!

"ATH0" is the "hangup" command for a normal Hayes modem, and it's common for
all sorts of equipment to send that to a modem to start with, to put it in a
known state.  The "Q0" tells it to reply with verbose replies, I think.
It's been a long time since I've had to do that stuff.

Try replying with "OK" every time it sends an "AT" command, and eventually
it'll think you're in answer mode.  Then, you might be able to type "RING"
and get a "pick up the pnone" command ("ATA" probably); one more "OK" and
you might get a login prompt....

-Shel