[SunRescue] Re: Pentium Pro VRMs?

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 2 20:28:26 CDT 2001

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, George Adkins wrote:

> If the center notch is off center, it means that they are not 3 V
> DIMMs.  I would suspect that they probably look like this...
>
>                                                               5 Volt
> UUUUU____I^I_UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU_I^I____UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>
> Which would probably make them older unbuffered 5V FPM Dimms.  it's
> probably a 440FX Chipset.

Actually it's sorta this.

___=U=___________________________U==______________________________

Just like a SPARCstation 5 dimm. In fact, I popped a 501-2470 SS5 8MB dimm
in and it fits. Board requires them in pairs, so I need to dig out another
one and find a VRM or 2 and see how they do.

I'd tried the Ultra 5 type dimms that work in PR440FX type boards, but
they don't fit. The manual confirms it's DRAM, not SDRAM, so I'm hoping
the SS5 memory works at least enough to see if it works.

> >Does anyone know a good web source for pentium pro VRMs? I'm trying to
> >bring a HP Vectra XU back to life, and it seems all the ppro boards I have
> >available for cannibalization have built-in VRMs. Well, except the one
> >dualie I have in serious use, of course :(
> >
> >This may end up being a non-issue, since it also seems to want non-SDRAM
> >DIMMs, and oddly they're not the Ultra5/Ultra10 kind. Middle pin is off to
> >the side instead of being in the middle :(

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows