[SunRescue] Worst *nix (was Re: Data General Aviion (was Re: OBP coolness))

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 1 00:40:57 CDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001 dave at cca.org wrote:

> mrbill at mrbill.net writes:
>
> >I'd say the "worst" *nix I ever played with was Domain/OS on a
> >Apollo DN4000 (before they were bought by HP).  I picked up FOUR
>
> Worst ever: Xenix
> Worst still being sold: SCO

I told my boss's boss I'd pass on the USENIX technical conference and just
go for LISA. He thought I meant an Apple LISA. Since we've joked about
putting in a VAXcluster (he used to work for DEC in the day), I figured
I'd look into how we could use LISAs in our environment. Found Xenix for
LISA. I was scared. I thought Lunix for C64/C128 was scary. There's also
apparently a couple thousand LISAs in a landfill around here somewhere.
Hmmm. Grendel cluster anyone?

I don't see much Sony NEWS/OS around anymore (was it wombat.gnu.ai.mit.edu
that was a NEWS box?). I still despise Ultrix 3 most, and AIX and HPUX are
close behind.

Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows