[rescue] Can't clear ESP interrups: Check SCSI Term, Power Fuse ??

Rebecca Ore rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 21:32:11 CDT 2001

On Sun, 08 Jul 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Sunday, July 8, 2001 at 18:35:26 (-0400), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] Can't clear ESP interrups: Check SCSI Term, Power Fuse  ??
> >
> > where are these fuses?  i searched on my sparc5 to see what i could find for
> > her, but i never did locate where they were.  they certainly aren't obvious. :)
>
> Well, I must admit that I don't know!
>
> On every other sparc and sparc clone I've looked at they were either
> fairly obvious, or very obvious (and usually identical to the keyboard
> and ethernet fuses).

Um, yeah.   I had some problems with a SS1+ that never resolved, but
it certainly had fuses that could be removed and replaced.  I thought
with two SS5s that one of them would be okay.   The test that I'll do
if I can borrow a LED terminator from work will be to see if the LEDs
are getting juice.  If they are, then I may need better cables and all
(these are cheap).  If there are no lights, then I sort of will
suspect the fuse.

I have the drive jumpered to SCSI ID 5 which I wouldn't think would
interfer with the SCA drives, in fact an internal CDROM drive was
misjumped to that ID and probe-scsi found it.

> Hmm... wait a moment... According to the FEH there are two things with
> fuse-like labels on the SS5 board right down in the corner near the SCSI
> connector:  F1100 and F1001.  These labels are each beside two boxes on
> the board diagram which are both labeled "PTC".  One's a horizontal
> rectangle and appears to be directly in the middle of the HD50
> connector, just a bit back from the edge, and the other is vertical and
> just a bit further back from the HD50 connector.  What are those things?
>
> They use the same terminology for what must be the fuses on the FSBE/S
> (501-2105 and 501-2981).

I can look when I get home and see if I spot those and then see if
they're fingernail-removeable.

> Now unfortunately they do say on most pages about CPU modules listing
> similar sounding fuses, that they are not "field replaceable", which is
> of course because they are surface mounted.  However anyone with a
> careful hand and a suitable soldering iron should be able to replace
> them....  This makes me wonder though -- if they're careful to say that
> some fuses are not field replacable, doesn't that imply the others are?

Sounds like they cut corners.  I like the little glass fuses on the
SS1+.

> --
> 							Greg A. Woods
>
> +1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>