[SunRescue] OK, I am confused now

jcarver rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 31 00:57:29 CST 2001

Hi Mike,

I believe the terms single sided and two sided simms originated when the
current
chip technology was such that 1 meg, 4 meg, and 16 meg simms were in fact
populated on only "1 side". 2 meg, 8 meg and 32 meg simms were fabbed with
chips that required using both sides of the simm board. Most LX's will see 32
meg
parity simms in mem slots 1 and 2, while the other 4 only work with 4 or 16 meg

simms. With this arraignment you can get 128 megs of mem in an LX. The terms
"single sided" and "dual sided" today, usually refer to amount of mem on the
board
rather than actual chip count.

                                                        jim