[WORKSTATIONS] Re: [SunRescue] IBM RT available...

Skeezics Boondoggle rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 30 17:32:28 CST 2001

> > Real quick notice to anyone interested in older IBM (pre-RS/6000) hardware.
> > I've got a colleague here at work who has a *pristine* IBM RT to get rid of,
> > complete with manuals *still in shrink wrap*.  Apparently the unit came from
> > one of his relatives who worked for IBM.
>
> If it is the tower 6150 model, it is a nice machine, although slow by todays
> standards.  It runs a very nice 4.3-Tahoe, Reno, or 4.4BSD.  AIX is so-so.
> If it is the desktop model, AIX is about all it will easily run.  You can
> shoehorn 4.3-Tahoe on it, but there is little space for expansion.

Wasn't the RT one of the first test/development platforms for Mach? That'd
be neat, running a Mach kernel dev box to go along with my PERQs (Accent!)
and NeXT boxes...

> > Anyways, I don't know much about RTs, but I imagine there's a few of you out
> > there who do and might be interested in a basically brand-new one.  The unit
> > is located in Canton, OH, and I imagine I could probably make arrangements
> > to have the unit either picked up or shipped.
>
> Someone go for it, so I am not the only RT still alive and kicking.....

Must... resist... too much... old hardware... must clean out... model 38
tty...old alpha... 4/670MP... HP 755... from dining room... must finish...
remodelling basement... mind... strong... body... weak!

You know you've gone over the edge when the answer changes from "No more
hardware!" to "Remodel the basement!  Make more room!"  :-)

-- Chris