[SunRescue] Re: OT Soyo subnotebooks

bobk rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 28 17:09:07 CST 2001

If you don't mind an older, slower system, there was a place selling many
used HP omnibook 800cs systems on ebay for $150. That's a very small,
nice, 100 mhz pentium, 16 mb ram, 810mb hd, built in sound, pcmcia. I have
its bigger brother, the 800ct, with 133 mhz, 4gb, 80mb. Running linux on
it is well documented (everything works except irda, and I don't care
about that). Also, its got built in scsi.

I bought a compaq armada m300, 333 mhz, 128mb, 4gb drive. Its nice enough
to use but battery life isn't good at all, and I've had problems with
it. This thing seldom leaves the desktop, but the screen crapped out in
the first week, and now the battery has died, after only 5 months. I am
happy I got the extended warrantee on it! Because of these problems, I
can't really recommend it. I got it for $1069 though (solutions4sure.com)