[SunRescue] Re: ALMS

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 27 23:28:47 CST 2001

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 12:19:25AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Arrival of package to addressee.
> Elapsed time:  9 days.
> Not good.
> ./patrick

UPS and FedEx delivery an average of 2-3 boxes/packages a week
to my house.  So, the drivers that work the route near my house
KNOW where I live.

More than once, however, they've taken a package that was
largely, clearly, laser-printed in large text with my address,
and just dropped it off at the wrong house.  Ill check the
online tracking, "delivered to front porch".  Well, I'll go look,
and there aint shit on my front porch.  I'll call them up, and it
goes like this:

me: "It says delivered, but it wasnt delivered here.  Where did you
     deliver it to this time?"
them: "hold on sir."
them: "Okay sir, that package was delivered to xxxx <street name>".

(which happens to be 2-3 blocks away, but always in my neighborhood).

So, I go, hop in the car with Amy, and go over to the address they
gave me.  Every time, my package is sitting there on someone else's
doorstep.  Luckily, both times I just went up, got my package, and
left a note for the homeowner as to what had happened (in case their
neighbors saw me "stealing packages").

What I want to know is, the package is clearly labeled with my
name and address, and is in the computer.  They *know* where they
delivered it - so why doesent a red flag pop up somewhere and go
"hey, you delivered this package to the wrong address".

Items this has happened to:

1.  Wedding dress (OOOH I was pissed....)
2.  Plextor CD-ROM writer

99% of the time tho, the UPS person just drops the package on my
front porch, rings the doorbell, and is back into their truck by
the time I open the door.  (I've got a release signature on file
due to the fact that usually I'm not home and Amy's asleep when
stuff is delivered..)

I've noticed that Fedex Ground is *way* cheaper than UPS, as well.
It cost less than $20 to ship a rather heavy DEC Alpha 3000/600
system to me from PA, while UPS would have cost $50+...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net