[SunRescue] OT: Need help with my first cartoon box.

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jan 27 02:22:08 CST 2001

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 03:07:43AM -0500, Jeff Workman wrote:
> All,
> I am the proud new owner of a Personal Iris 4D/25, 32 MB RAM, and 1.5 GB
> hard drive.  I need a source of parts for this beast.  Anybody got a
> (preferably mechanical) mouse that will work with it, and a copy of IRIX
> 4.x on QIC-150 tape?  I have heard that you could run IRIX 5.x on them but
> I imagine that it's slooooow in a 20 MHz processor.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Jeff

Jeff, I may have IRIX for it out in my garage.  My first SGI was a 4D/25
that I got with a 19" monitor for $200 a few years ago. 8-)  Nice beast;
a little slow in loading the OS, but fun to play with and the graphics were
DAMN fast for the CPU speed (but thats an SGI for ya).

Mouse and keyboard are proprietary, altho you should be able to pick them
up *cheap* off eBay.

Best person for SGI parts/advice/general stuff is Greg Douglas @
Reputable; http://www.reputable.com.  Tell him I sent ya.  He's helped
me out TONS in the past few years with SGI stuff, even tho I've only
bought a few CD-ROM drives and such from him.

Tip: Get a CD-ROM for it, and ditch the tape drive.  You'll thank me.

You have to treat the CD-ROM as if it was a tape drive during the OS
install, but its TONS faster.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford