[SunRescue] Fwd: Re: which driver do I need in the kernel forsound in a sparc LX?

Martin Frost rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 22 15:18:36 CST 2001

> > All I've had luck with are mpg123 for a player

While on the subject of mpg123 on an LX, I have written a SPARC
assembler version of the DCT64 operation which runs about twice
the speed of the C version compiled with gcc on an LX. I haven't
sent it to the mpg123 maintainers yet (working on some other
optimisations as well), but if anyone wants to try it (speeds up
mp3 playback by around 10% on my LX), then let me know off-list.

I still need to save another 20% to get real-time stereo 44.1KHz
playback on the LX, though...

btw: does anyone have any pointers to good in-depth instruction
timing information for the various SPARC CPUs? I had to measure
all of the FP latencies myself, but it would be much nicer to
have the official details.

--m