[SunRescue] poor man's wireless ethernet

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 22 13:05:52 CST 2001

On January 22, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Would be nice, if you could use/configure the Airport base module (which
> is just a WaveLAN card in a fancy case) with something OTHER than a Mac...

  Why use an Airport base module?  Why not just use another 802.11 card
stuck into a Unix box acting as a bridge?  I've set a half dozen of
those types of networks up with the older 2mbps pre-IEEE WaveLAN
cards.

  Also...from what I'm told, there's a lot more than just a WaveLAN card
in an Airport base module...though I haven't played with one yet
myself.

         -Dave McGuire