[SunRescue] poor man's wireless ethernet

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 22 06:09:58 CST 2001

Bill - low-cost data transmission is possibe "on the cheap" - check-out Nuts
and Volts magazine, several advertisers there offer low-cost *serial*
wireless modules/assemblies...

The 2.4 GHz A/V transmitters probably don't have sufficient bandwidth/audio
quality *on the audio* to get anything over a regular modem line (obviously,
the video section has bandwidth galore, but how to use it... Hmm. maybe
something could be done by using a couple of those old VCR-data backup
devices that backed up your *massive* 10 Meg Corvus harddrives to a VCR...)

There have been reports of Ethernet bridges (black box that plugs into an
ethernet port on a workstation), but their cost eludes me.

They now make USB 802.11b networking adapters too...

I think the real answer is to wait for the next big price drop in 802.11b
cards and pray Sun sees fit to adopt one of them and develop a driver for
Solaris.

Ken