[SunRescue] Max. Size Hard Disk Installable in SparcStorage Array Model 100?

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 22 02:00:53 CST 2001

Jonathan Katz wrote:

> Earlier today you wrote:
> > Now that I've got my SparcServer 1000 running, I'd like
> > to try the Storage Array that came with it (It looks like
> > a model 100, but the model number on the back indicates
> > model 1010) . I did a doc search on the sun web site,
>
> I guess I'm now the Network Storage Representative. Folks
> who are more in the know than I please contradict me if I
> get things wrong...
>
> As a model '1010' they shipped with 1GB disks. As a '1020'
> they shipped with 2G disks, and so on... except I think the
> largest drives these shipped with were 4GB. You should be
> able to cram *any* size SCA SCSI-SE drive in there IIRC,
> just make sure the mounting brackets line-up. These are just
> really SCSI JBODs and use a fibre-based SCSI connection to
> go form the host (your SS1000) to the SSA.

This topic has been up atleast two times before, but I need to say it
again;
The SPARCstorage Array 100/110 supports up to 8GB because of
firmware/hardware limitations. There are no update (yet) for using
bigger drives than that today. You CAN cram in 9 gigers, but you'll only
be able to use 8GB of these.
Notice, this has been tested in production enviroments and this is what
I've been told by a Sun Service Engineer I know.

/Bjorn