[SunRescue] Re: What to use bunches of New Netras for, was Re: New Netra

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 18 14:58:26 CST 2001

Christopher Byrne writes:
. That
> being said, in order to get a 16 processor sun box I would need to by an
> E6500 which runs aroung $500k with 16 processors. Now obviously it's not
> going to preform like a 5500, but I'll bet you that it will neat a fully
> loaded 3500 under most conditions (six processors) and one of those bad boys
> sells for around $200k. It might even beat a fully loaded 4500 (under ideal
> conditions I'm sure it could)

i doubt it. you're forgetting the importance of ecache. the x1 has a 400mhz
cpu with only 256k of ecache. that cripples it to a notable extent.

the old 336mhz cpu's in my e4500's have 4M of cache per. the newer cpu's
have 8megs. that makes a huge difference.

but the points are well taken. you *can* build a rockin' little datacenter
with a stack of these pups. i'm considering it for my next venture...

Paul Theodoropoulos
paul at anastrophe.net
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Syntactically Subversive Services, Inc.