[SunRescue] Rant on industry employment practices, was RE: 16 MB memory module for Voyager

scohen - Stephen Cohen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 17 08:09:39 CST 2001

Stefan,

You sound particularly well informed.  I was there (in the Roseville
Development Center at the Space Center) from '76 to '82.  By that time
Control Data had already gotten off to a good start.

Yes, New York seemed to be in charge.  I had left prior to the merger with
Burroughs - it seems that it was a particularly difficult transition.  What
I can't understand is how those in charge of purchasing large systems could
ever have believed that, suddenly, there would be a bigger, better Univac or
Burroughs.  The Unisys corporate line seems like so much nonsense.

I'm also disappointed by Unisys's current marketing and advertisements.
These are the advertisements which depict a Unisys employee, with a monitor
for a head, unable to get a customer's problems out of mind.  What kind of
expectations of these hard working individuals are being set in the
marketplace?  Will a Unisys employee, particularly one having customers as
friends, ever be allowed to 'leave work at the office', relax, kick back,
and enjoy?