FW: [SunRescue] NIS+

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 10:40:37 CST 2001

Wally,

Below is the person's answer from off the list.  Hope it helps!

Mike Hebel

I'd recommend starting off with nisping -C to do a checkpoint on the
replicas and root master.  You can also use nislog to see the transaction
logs.  Another to check into is to use niscache, this will look at the
current cache of a nis+ server.
	If there are further issues with the NIS+ database, you may have to
probe deeper and nistbladm may be the place you have to turn to.  Nisping
will be able to give you quite a bit of information with it's diferent
options, so I'd start there.

	If you do not have it already, I'd suggest getting a book titled
"All About Administering NIS+" written by Rick Ramsey.  Even though it was
written more than 7 years ago, it is still one of the best NIS+ books I have
come across.  It was authored by Ramsey, but collaborated on by the NIS+
development team.  Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-309576-2.  I'm sure this has
been updated from my old and dogeared copy.
	The AnswerBook sections on NIS+ are looking a whole lot like the
Ramsey book these days.  Also take a look into docs.sun.com.

Walt Burton  (wburton at rand.com)
Engineering Manager - IT Solutions
Rand Worldwide
Schaumburg Office		Ph-(847)303-6460  Fax-(847)303-6471