[SunRescue] OT - Have I lost my mind (looking for a good PC case)

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 14:01:05 CST 2001

On 15 Jan 2001 09:57:05 -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Not wanting to break the bank, but I am looking for a good PC case to house
> my new monster, a PIII/1 GHz system, and I came across this at centrix Intl.
> ( http://www.centrix-intl.com/altos1200.htm ) - YOW!

Sweet!  Well worth the price, assuming that those specs are right, and
that the SCA on there is capable of Ultra160.  Wow, I think I've found
my next PC case, if I ever upgrade.  Maybe it's time to build an
UltraAXi system...

> I don't think I need quite that case (although it *does* include 430 Watt
> PS, 8 hot-swap SCA drives on 2  backplanes, a lot of cooling fans, and the
> floppy drive ;^), but my other option appears to be an PC Power & Cooling
> Mid-size case w/300 Wat PS for about $145 +/-.
>
> I am looking for a good solid ATX case, but I want to keep the price
> reasonable (I paid $450 for the MB, CPU and 128 Meg PC800 RDRAM - it is an
> Intel Evaluation Kit). I suppose another Inwin/Enlite (SP?) case would be
> OK, but I am hoping for something a little different this time...

SuperMicro makes very nice cases.  They're easy to get in and out of,
have plenty of cooling, and they have good quality power supplies.  My
next choice would be a Dell case, but those things tend to be
proprietary (yes, I'm a nerd.  No, I can't spell), and won't fit a stock
ATX board.  I use my SuperMicro 760ATX, it's got enough room, although I
did need to add a few power Y-cables, as there aren't enough leads from
the PS for all my drives.  The 760 isn't cheap, but that's the full
tower case, so you might try out one of their "smaller offerings" to see
how it fits.  If you've got a Fry's or similar near by, go down and see
how badly you can slice your hands to pieces on the demo models.  :-)
Later,

    Greg