[SunRescue] Re: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #879 - 15 msgs

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 09:33:49 CST 2001

--------------3E5273674CEFB63F3F3F6D5E

> Message: 9
> From: "Christopher Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com>
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: RE: [SunRescue] ANybody elses desktop look like this
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:02:51 -0800
>
> Well I like the basic front end that KDE shows me, as well as it's relative
> stability especially compared to GNOME/Enlightenment combo.
>
> Of course Enlightenment is a developement windowmanager, it was never
> intended to ne either resource efficient, or totally stable.
>
> On the KDE plus side I also really like KOffice. When it's finally 100% I
> plan on doing a major functionality test to see if it can keep up with MS
> office for my business needs.
>
> That's something I would truly love to see, needing windows only to interact
> with other windows users, and for high end games. Hell if this justice
> department thing works out, maybe not even needing windows at all.... now
> that'd be a real dream.
>
> GNOME/Enlightenment on the other hand give you a hell of a lot of
> customizability, which is great. I know guys who have fractally generated
> windows rendered in weird transparent colors just because they can.
>
> WindowMaker on the third hand (hmmm, running out of hands here... hey
> vishnu, get over here ;-) gives you a lot of the same flexibility, at a much
> lower resource cost, but without the high level of object portability and
> widget compatability offered by either KDE or GNOME
>
> Chris Byrne

It's not "on the third hand", its "On the gripping hand..."!  ;-)

Ed

--------------3E5273674CEFB63F3F3F6D5E

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate