EEPROM burners (was Re: [SunRescue] Bootroms)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jan 14 20:37:01 CST 2001

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   The vast majority of "external" EPROM programmers available nowadays
> connect via a PeeCee parallel port...apparently a last-ditch effort to
> lock firmware development into the PC world.  Programmers with serial
> ports can be found, but you have to do some serious looking.

I've never found them to be that rare.  I count at least 3 on Ebay right
now, and they regularly go for under $100 (an older serial one has a "buy
now" option for $65).

That said, I built my first programmer out of an S-100 prototyping board
for an MP/M box.  Still used it as recently as 2 years ago.  If you're at
all skilled with digital logic they're a snap to build.

-James