[SunRescue] RE: Solaris 1.1 on a 4/330

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 12 17:48:41 CST 2001

On January 12, Michael Doyle wrote:
> Sure NIS is bad security-wise but no one in their right
> mind is going to be running SunOS 4.x on a big production
> server at work anyway - after all NIS is only responsible for
> a small bit of the huge security problems with this version
> of UNIX as it exists straight off a release tape or CD-ROM!

  But nobody runs it as it exists straight from release media. :)
...now that I think of it, I can't think of ANY OS that I'd run
straight from the release media. :-/

> Undoubtably this 4/330 will be behind some nice firewall -
> only being used for nostaglia anyway, I'm sure.

  Why would you say that?  Sure it's several years old, and
newer/faster computers do exist.  But as I've said here many, many
times before...unless you've got more bandwidth than I do, the
bottleneck for NEARLY ANY application will be the connectivity.
Unless you're into serious research-grade number crunching, 3D
rendering/animation, or serving files to hundreds of client machines,
a 4/300 will do pretty much any job asked of it.

  All marketing aside...NOBODY needs an 800+MHz processor to shove bits
down what ends up being a 33.6kbps or 56kbps pipe.  That's just
ludicrous.

          -Dave McGuire