[SunRescue] Bad - new NVRAM/TOD??

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 12 12:46:47 CST 2001

> > Then I ordered the 150 NS version of the M48T12 from JDR Microdevices (they
> > don't carry the M48T02), and it worked like a champ.  They're $16.99 each from
> > JDR, rather than $12.80 from Mouser for the M48T02.  Mouser also carries the
> > M48T12 chip, also at $12.80, but I haven't tried it (yet).
> >
> > So, despite what the NVRAM FAQ says, it looks like the MT48T12 chip is the one
> > to use.  All the chips I've been playing with are from the same manufacturer,
> > so it's not a vendor problem.
> >
> > The ones that did NOT Work:
> >
> >    Manufacturer: ST  Label: M48T02-70PC1
> >    Manufacturer: ST  Label: M48T02-200PC1
> >
> > The one that DID Work:
> >
> >    Manufacturer: ST  Label: M48T12-150PC1
> >
> > I will sware that I successfully used an M48T02 on an IPC a while back.
> > Anyone out there have an IPC with a dead NVRAM chip willing to experiment with
> > one of these chips?  I'll send a free chip to the first one who volunteers!

Just reporting back ...

I recently succeeded in rehabilitating an IPC using an M48T02-200PC1 from
Mouser, following instructions in the NVRAM FAQ.

I was going to try to transplant the chip into a Sparc-2, at a suggestion from
another list member.  Our Sparc-2 proved to have a working NVRAM and I didn't
want to disturb its peace of mind.

-- SP