[SunRescue] LX versus SS5

Mattias Paulsson rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 11 15:42:12 CST 2001

> Is the SS5 going to work that much better than an LX for Solaris 8?

Probably, yes.

> Are they going to both be too slow?

Probably, yes. But they will both be excellent systems for learning Solaris 8 on, especially if you have a decent frambuffer to go with that and no less than 64MB of RAM (I tried Sol8 on a SS10/40 with 32MB of RAM ... took forever to get something compiled).

I have tried Sol8 on a headless SS5/70MHz with 160MB of RAM and a fast SCSI disk and it went just fine.

----
M.Paulsson - Perl programmer / systems architect / protector of squids

"- Plus the Camel maskot is a hell of a lot cooler than a cup of coffee!!"