[SunRescue] LX versus SS5

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 11 14:53:57 CST 2001

I'm thinking about getting a machine I can run Solaris 8
on so I can learn it.  (I have an LX currently but it's
almost beta enough to go into my car as an MP3 player.)

Since Sun4m is the oldest that Solaris 8 will support I
have only a couple low-cost options:

1) SPARCstation LX - 50mhz but has built-in framebuffer,
16-bit audio, and ISDN.

2) SPARCstation 5 - 70mhz basically build from scratch.

I don't want to spend a lot for this experiment and if something
like a $50 LX that I only have to buy RAM for will work _about_
the same as the SS5 then I'd probably get the LX.

Is the SS5 going to work that much better than an LX for Solaris 8?
Are they going to both be too slow?

Mike Hebel

"Does Maggie have teeth?  Is Flanders God?
What of donuts!?  Whaaat!?" - Homer Simpson