[SunRescue] note on living expenses

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 11 11:19:38 CST 2001

On January 11, Bill Bradford wrote:
> >   I'd definitely use fiber for the inter-house runs, though.  A friend
> > and I ran about a 150' span of 10baseT between our houses a few years
> > ago...we lost about two 10baseT transceivers per year due to EMP from
> > nearby lightning strikes.  Fiber obviously doesn't have that problem.
>
> So what would you do?  Fiber cable down the middle of a PVC pipe, sealed
> really well?

  We used 2" semi-flexible buriable conduit.  The flexibility buys you
something good...you can easily bring both ends all the way into both
houses.  Then, no sealing is really needed.

  Conduits like that are useful for all sorts of things.  While checking
for weird air currents going between our two houses, I successfully
sent a fart to the other house using a squirrel-cage blower.

  rpc.stinkd

          -Dave McGuire