[SunRescue] note on living expenses

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 11 10:47:31 CST 2001

On January 11, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> > Still, if I stay here for a while and can get a few neighbors in on it, I
> > might spring for a DS1 and trench cat5 to all the nearby houses.
>
> Not to be a pain in the ass, but aren't there all sorts of nasty grounding
> issues with that?

  10baseT and 100baseT use differential signalling, not single-ended
with common ground.

  I'd definitely use fiber for the inter-house runs, though.  A friend
and I ran about a 150' span of 10baseT between our houses a few years
ago...we lost about two 10baseT transceivers per year due to EMP from
nearby lightning strikes.  Fiber obviously doesn't have that problem.

        -Dave McGuire