[SunRescue] Re: Getting Eletrical Service Upgraded

John Duksta rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 11 07:58:14 CST 2001

At 04:33 PM 1/10/2001 -0600, Reagen Ward wrote:

>I'm considering upgrading the service to my house (need the cable to replaced
>anyway, as it's too small for an aluminum-wired house) for many reasons, not
>the smallest being the lack of power for my machines.
>
>Has anyone here had their service upgraded?  If so, what's it like?  Is it as
>expensive as I imagine?

Reagan,

It's not that bad. I had 60 Amp service in my old house, and I had
it upgraded to 200 Amp service. All in all, with a couple of extra
circuits run (dedicated to the AV gear and the Computer Room)
the whole thing ran about $1500 and took 2 days. They shutdown the
power to the house, ripped out the old fuse box, and installed
a new breaker panel. By the end of the first day, they had power
back to the important things (refrigerator, stove, etc.)

Call around to a few eletricians in your area and have them
come and give you estimates for the work.

-john