now : Energy usage RE: [SunRescue] Monthly living expenses Was OT: natural gas prices

Tim Harrison rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 10 10:08:42 CST 2001

Mike Turner wrote:

>         A random thought: With all this talk of energy consumption I begin
> to wonder, anyone noticed the cops hanging out in front of their houses? the
> reason I ask this is that in most localities the power company passes the
> names of energy users that pass a certain threshold of consumption to the
> local vice squad. The usual reason is that growing Pot , because of the grow
> lamps, uses a lot of electricity. I just wonder if massive computer users
> can trigger that anmount or not. hate to have the swat team kick in the door
> cause I am compiling a new kernel :-).

I have heard of this as well.  However, in our area, I'm not sure if
they're around for us, or for the neighbours, who seem to be a lot more
well off than we are, and they never seem to go to work.  Hrmm.

Oh, and that guy staggering down the street with a joint in his hand
might have been a tip off.

We try to keep our electricity bill under USD$150, and we're sometimes
successful, but so far, we haven't reached over USD$250 for more than
two months running (when I first bought a whack of gear a year ago, and
then gave some away).

--

Tim Harrison
Network Engineer