[SunRescue] Rant on industry employment practices, was RE: 16MB memory module for Voyager

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 9 02:49:44 CST 2001

On 8 Jan 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I think that I've got you beat.  I've got a Digital LG02 just sitting
> here looking for a home.  Anybody familiar with these?  1100

Yes.  Set one up at CSU Northridge back in '96, we ran a print spooler off
of a DECstation 3100 (which did home directory NFS serving for the whole
engineering/CS school until that point).  It's a fairly nice (though old!)
printer and consumables are still available.  It doesn't hold a candle to
the fast chain printers for speed, but it's quite good for what it is and
easy to interface to.  I recommend that anyone using it put in a printer
filter that rejects postscript and binary files, though, it's amazingly
easy to burn through a ream of greenbar if you lp the wrong thing.

> lines/minute at full carridge width (greenbar, whatever width that is),
> does up to 7 layer forms without missing a beat (or jamming), and has a
> super-straight paper path, especially good for sticky labels.  So,
> anybody in the Pac NW want one of these?  If you want it shipped, you
> pay for a carrier to show up with a crate, and ship it to you.  It's
> slightly larger than our Vax 4000-400 (a metre tall, .65m deep, .90m
> wide), but it's got nice casters so you can roll it around.  This
> particular unit even has a Vax Parallel port in addition to it's RS-232
> port.  It was on a service contract from Digital, err, Compaq, until a
> month ago.  (I'd REALLY like to not dumpster this item).  Make me an
> offer...

If I were about 500 miles farther north, I'd hop in the truck.

-James