[SunRescue] Rant on industry employment practices, was RE: 16 MB memory module for Voyager

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 8 18:43:51 CST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> Was that 'Enable Software' as in the company that wrote a suite of software
> (for MSDOS) called 'Enable' that combined word processing, spreadsheet,
> database and graphics?  Man, I really really loved that package . . no don't
> laugh, it was my first word processor and I spent a lot of skull sweat in
> the Marines learning it's ins/outs so I could teach _other_ jarheads how to
> type letters ...

Ya, same one.  I wrote part of the 4.0 and 4.5 docs, as well as stuff for
"powerline" and others.  What a creepy company.  "Enable lite" (or Works,
or whatever...) was "crippleware" - it took up 10 megs, like Enable OA,
but had features disbaled.  Except the database "dot" language, which was
just removed from the docs...

They died a slow, horrible death - I left in June '93, after hearing the
co-founder say, "Windows won't last."

Funny side story: Remember Geoworks? (PC/GEOS)  They came to Enable
looking for a "killer app" before Win 3.0 came out.  Above dildohead said
that nobody would go GUI, told 'em no.  Just imagine if it had gone
otherwise...

_Pete