[SunRescue] SCSI ID, SS1+

Michael Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 8 17:53:43 CST 2001

I am trying to fix up an SPARCstation 1+, never mind why. I found a
service manual for a SPARCstation 2, which indicates that I should
put my first scsi disk in the left (not the side w/ power supply)
bay, and set it for scsi id #3. I have some questions:

-When I tried to find out where to put my ram,
I assumed that the SS2 was just a faster SS1+,
and that the ram banks would be wired up the same way.
This turned out not to be the case. Is the SS2 scsi
hardware different than the SS1+ in any way that
will cause problems for me trying to put in a hard disk?

-is there some compelling reason not to leave my drive
on scsi id 0 instead of setting it for id 3?

-what about termination? (on or off?) For the moment, I just
have one hard disk, and I might connect a Plextor 4X cd in an external
box. I'm pretty sure I should terminate the Plextor, but what about
the internal drive?

Thanks,

Mike 22rec at usa.net