[SunRescue] Video editing on Indys.

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 8 12:56:17 CST 2001

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Tim Harrison wrote:

> Anyone have any suggestions for video editing software that will run on
> an R5k Indy?  I'm working with a few people who want to make an
> independent film, and I'm the only one with enough hardware to dedicate
> to doing the editing of it.

Disclaimer:  I'm probably not the one to answer this (I'm a film
[as in, "the stuff with sprocket holes"] guy and a Sun and PC user,
not an SGI user or video engineer), but I'll add what I can.

The answer to this is really a question:  what do you want to do
here? What is your origination format (film?  video?)?  What is
the release format?  Do you want to be able to do some rough editing,
generate a cut list, and then go back and conform original film
negatives or timecoded videotapes to the cut list?  Do you want to
work at broadcast-quality resolution and then output directly from
the computer to videotape?  Or do you want to do something completely
different?  What's the budget?  How much do you care about quality?
Do you need a cuts-only system, or do you plan to do some sort of
image manipulation/CGI/etc.?  What's the length (both raw footage
and intended final cut) of your material?

If the origination and distribution format are both film (16mm or
35mm), then it's probably cheaper just to edit the film on a flatbed
Steenbeck machine.  If your final product only needs to exist in
electronic form, then you have plenty of options (usually on the
Mac, though...not sure on SGI), but some are more suited for some
types of work than others.