[SunRescue] Rant on... now on first WP ditties...

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 8 10:36:02 CST 2001

> > My first word processor was PFS: First Choice.  It ruled at the time.
> > It even ran okay under OS/2.  I wonder if there's a copy floating around
> > out there.
>
> WORDPERFECT 5.1 FOR DOS, d00dz! 8-)

Come on, guyz, where's yer UNIX spirit!

My first word processor (and only really good diehard since then)
was *roff on CP/M, then DOS, then UNIX.

I still carry that tarball around, in my admin toolkit, as one
of the first addins up on any new machine.  I even keep a *roff
suite for DOS, when I have to stoop to that great leap backwards.

You can't run run yer word processing correctly, until it runs
on 110baud serial lines on a tty37, right?  Right!

*roffs, forever.....

Ye has ta think like a *roffer, or ye not be yet out of UNIX training
pants!

Geesh,.... next we be a'callin' fer WordStar.....  YIKES!
That were a two fisted devil!

All in fun... but geesh!  (:+{{.... WordProcessors.... YECCHHH!
They leaves bad tastes in me mouth....  I remember years of
frustration and writing pipe filters for this and that and some
other kinds of binary WordProcessor conversion grunge to keep
our ``secretaries'' happy.  Baaaaaadddd karma!

*roff (and TeX) on CP/M or DOS or UNIX is so much nicer.... (:+}}...

Bob

p.s.  Anyone ever get vi to work on CP/M?  I came ever so close, but
      needed about 5k more ram, using small-c....  Likewise with the
      full nroff.   On dos, no sweat!