[SunRescue] Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

Kurt Mosiejczuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 13:21:59 CST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Mike Hebel wrote:

> >>Other than some of the sun4 stuff and sun4u boxes, you should have no
> >>problems.  I've run it on sun4c and sun4m machines of different varieties
> >>myself.

> Since you have a working copy I have to ask Kurt - can I get a CD of it from
> you and does it boot from the CD?  I'll send you blanks or something
> equivalent.  Contact me off-list.

Well, Can't really help you there.  Keep meaning to order a CD-ROM, but
the net install works so well, I keep meaning to do it =)

If it becomes a real problem, I can probably make up my own CD-ROM, but
Theo uses the official CD-ROMs for income for OpenBSD, so that might be best.

> >>The only reason you might still consider that 5x133 is that the x86
> machines
> >>tend to be snappier on encryption.  So if you're going to do IPSec, you
> >>MIGHT be better off with the x86.  That said, unless you're doing high
> >>bandwidth stuff, the sparc would probably be better.
>
> I hadn't planned on IPSec but now that you mention it I'm going to have to
> think about it.

If you're not worried about big bandwidth through the VPN, the sparc will
work adequately, but the x86 have the quick bit-shift advantage.

--Kurt