[SunRescue] Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 10:49:57 CST 2001

James Lockwood <james at foonly.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
> > 1 personal news server, maybe.  Specific groups only to keep the drive size
> > down.  alt.comp, etc.  (I wonder what it costs to subscribe to a news feed?)
>
> Consider a caching local news server such as NNTPcache:
>
> http://www.nntpcache.org/

There are other choices too.  I use leafnode.  It seems to do the same as
nntpcache.  It too can look like a 'normal' news server.  The way I use it
is that it lives on my hosted server (an SS2, so we're back on-topic :-)
and pulls my news down a couple of times a day.  I also have it installed
on my Linux laptop, which connects to my server to get news.  I actually
*read* news using Forte Agent running on the laptop under Wine, connecting
to localhost.

   The voices said it's a good day to clean my weapons.