[SunRescue] Router vs. PC with router/firewall software...

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 09:24:52 CST 2001

>>> I just need a good firewall/NAT solution that I either don't have to pay
>>> lot for or can build myself using the spare PCs/SPARCs I have laying
around.

>>I've gone the computer based thing, rather than a smart router.  Oh, and
>>I've gone that way for a few friends too.  :)

Yeah, I'm currently trying to setup a good Linux one at a friend's house.
The gotcha is that I have to make it able to talk to a Mac which is new to
me.

>>> I'm leaning towards a Linux box doing NAT/firewall but if a router will
do
>>> that well enough then I'm open to that suggestion as well.
>>
>>Go with the box, but run OpenBSD instead of Linux.  It's a whole bunch
>>more flexible, and a lot easier to secure.  I've used ipchains a lot,
>>and iptables a bit, and the stuff with OpenBSD is MUCH nicer.

Hmmm...another vote for OpenBSD.  Seems like it's growing on me more and
more.

>>> 1 VPN machine.  (Thank any supreme being that you might name -
speakeasy.net
>>> is in my area.  They don't care what I run.)
>>
>>VPN in, or out?  using ipsec?  processing power is nice to have on these
>>boxes...

In first so I can get to my home network from the office.  Then out later so
I can get to the office from home. ;-)

>>> There may be other things somewhere down the road but those are the
basics I
>>> want.
>>
>>I'd definately go with the computer, as it will give you a bit more
>>flexibility.  Plus, routers are generally not that fast at packet
>>filtering, and expensive.  I put my firewall/router box together for
>>exactly $0.  Somebody gave me an old 486-50 with 16MB of ram, I grabbed
>>a couple of ISA network cards that I had laying around, and installed
>>OpenBSD.

*leans more towards OpenBSD*Hmmm....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike Hebel