[SunRescue] SS5 upgrade

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 4 15:16:59 CST 2001

I think the CPU is soldered to the motherboard.  There
are actual two pairs of jumbers on the SS5 motherboard that
control speeds.  The one right next to the power connector
sets the SBUS clock divisor. I've been able to get it to run
at /3=36.6MHz but /2 always failed.

The other pair by the CPU is interesting.  I don't think it
sets CPU clock.  I believe it has to do with memory timing.
Both jumbers jumped is the slowest setting, both unjumped is
the fastest.  It is difficult to get a system to run with
both unjumped.  Some memory doesn't cut it and some SBUS cards
don't like it.  Also, the both unjumped position appears to
limit memory to 64M?  If the onboard SCSI hangs while booting,
just wait, it may reduce synchronous transfer rate but will eventually
continue.  That's a small price to pay for the added bus bandwidth.

I am running two ss5's with both unjumped
(and sbus at /3).  One is a fileserver with ATM, FDDI and
SunSwift cards.  The other is a workstation with a LEO and an ATM
card.  The LEO is fairly fast, it's nice to be able to use the
scroll bar in Netscape again after suffering for years with an S24.

Also, since I brought up LEO, Here's the trick I found to set the
correct
gamma/colormap:

1. start openwindows with 'openwin -dev /dev/fb0 defdepth 24'
2. leoconfig -g 1  (sets gamma to 1, it is important to do this here not
later)
3. exit openwin
4. start openwin normally 'openwin' (you do not need to repeat steps 1-3
unless you reboot).

This will enable you to use the 8 bit default color depth
(so non 24 bit applications like the window manager paint faster)
and still have the exact gamma/appearance of the trusty 8 bit
framebuffers.

KL