[SunRescue] are Ultra CPUs really this expensive?

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 22:16:34 CST 2001

on 1/3/2001 11:09 PM, Dave McGuire at mcguire at neurotica.com wrote:

> Remember, these processors actually *do* something with their
> high-speed clocks, unlike the fifty-cycles-just-to-fart Intel crap.

I think that is pretty unfair to Intel chips; the new SIMD instructions in
the P-III allow multiple farts in parallel; after a 25-cycle setup time
(opcode BNZ , I think), Intel chips will issue one fart per 10 cycles.

Interspersing different values will allow for various "music" to be
produced, from "motorcycle on small Italian village side street" to "Texas
chili massacre" to the popular "A-B-C's" .

:-)

Cordially

Patrick