[SunRescue] (Help!) Problems with Solaris 8 and SPARCServer 1000E?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 17:48:40 CST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> You sure on this?  Solaris 7 on a 32mb SS2 is *way* slower than Sol 2.5.1
> on the same box, with pretty identical configurations and all non-essential
> stuff turned off...

Right.  More recent Solaris versions tend to be more memory hungry, but if
you have sufficient memory they run faster.  32MB is _not_ sufficient for
recent releases, especially if you are planning on running X.

I run Solaris 7 on my 64MB SS2 and it never misses a beat.  Then again, I
was happy with 40MB in my 4/330 running 2.4.  I still miss that box every
once in a while.

-James