[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

John F. Davis rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 11:05:50 CST 2001

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 03:08:33PM +0000, David Murphy wrote:
> Quoting <20010102232507.A1806 at pigsty.barnyard.co.uk>
> by David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk>:
>
> > In the case of the SS2 it's excusable - it really is a crappy old
> > machine, and the comparable x86 and 68k boxes I have suffer the same
> > way.  I haven't bothered with any serious testing (cos it's not a
> > serious problem for me) but my guess would be that the delay is
> > whilst the SSL lib crunches numbers to create the session keys.
>
> SPARC isn't great at SSL - one of the reasons Sun sell a crypto
> accelerator card.

Hmm.  I don't know if this is germaine or not, but I use ssh exclusively
between my computers.  I run a sparc10, sparc 5, and a ultra5.  I don't see
any problems with speed. scp on the other hand is a little slow.

John

> --
> "Where am I supposed to find coelacanths at this time of day?"
> "Process doesn't concern me. I'm a high level thinker."
> http://www.goats.com/comix/0012/goats001213.gif
> David Murphy - For PGP public key, send mail with Subject: send-pgp-key

We host web sites: http://www.skink.net
buy my stuff:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItemsLinkButtons&userid=davis@skink.net