[SunRescue] Finally got DSL

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 2 04:07:32 CST 2001

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 11:56:18PM -0800, Paul Khoury wrote:
> So, is ISDL really ISDN, or not really?  Since it's $100/mo,
> there's no ISDN fee,
> just one flat rate then?  I know ISDN likes to charge by the minute.
> Paul

ISDN is either flat-rate, or charge-by-minute, depending on where you
live and your telco.  Here in Texas (as well as Oklahoma), its flat-rate.

IDSL is basically "ISDN over plain copper pair" - ISDN signalling, but it
only uses the plain copper pair instead of requiring the special conditioned
digital line.  Therefore, its cheaper to provide than ISDN (only needs a
copper pair instead of the digital line, no repeaters, etc), and so IDSL
usually ends up being cheaper (and a little faster, if your equipment
will do 144K instead of 128K) than "normal" ISDN.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford       |    "Do you expect me to talk?"
mrbill at mrbill.net   |    "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"