[SunRescue] Odd/Old hardware (even a Sun tie-in!)

Will Jennings rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Feb 25 14:15:06 CST 2001

I once owned all of the boards from, including the backplane, a Chromatics
graphics workstation.. This was powered by a VME Sun-3 series CPU, a special
OEM model, its only a 2U board. FWIW, my dad went to the unveiling of the
original Sparc, I still have the brochure on the Sparc, the writing paper,
the writing paper container, and the coffee mug... I used to have a blue Sun
bag that came from that as well, which, for added coolness, had a digital
simulation of the space station Freedom on the luggage tag (because my dad
worked for a now-formerly major CAD company). Nifty stuff, if I do say so
myself ;p Indeed, some of my earliest computer memories are of the sun logo
bouncing around the screens of 386i's at his work, right when such beasts
were brand-new and I was around 6 or so... But I still love Apollo's far
more, and find it interesting that out of all the machines my dad has ever
used, all the way from the CDC 3400 to x86's, Suns, etc., he still thinks
Apollo's were the best. Anyway, does anyone have a type 3 mouse and
keyboard? I have a 3/50 that I'd like to see if it works... No offense to
Sun-lovers, but I've had horrible luck with Sun's, owning 4 that didn't
work... umm a 4/690MP (this *really* pissed me off by failing to work!), an
SLC, an ELC, and an Ultra 10... That's nearly as bad as my track record with
macs... Also, will a standard mono monitor work with a 3/50?

Will J