[SunRescue] [OT] Macs and SunBlades, and other interesting things

jborisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Feb 24 13:06:16 CST 2001

Mr Katz wrote:
>I heard OS/X wasn't supported on clones(tm). Just like 2.6 and later
>detects for Sun4m VME-based gear and craps out, OS/X does likewise on
>Mac Clone gear (from what I can gather...)

If it would otherwise work and the hardware detect simply says "NO OSX
FOR YOU" I think there is some hack that makes the OS think it is running
on something else. The utility is called Iwishiwere or something like
that...

Ah, here it is,

http://www.macfixit.com/library/r-z.shtml
>The "Wish I were..." control panel provides a method for a system to
>identify its hardware as another hardware type, via the Gestalt "mach"
>selector. This has a variety of potential uses, including fooling an
>Installer into thinking you have different hardware than you actually
>have, thereby bypassing the Installer's refusal to run on your hardware.
>This can allow you to access files from the Installer that might still be
>useful to you. [Note: This is an out-of-date utility that will likely not
>work on current Mac models.]

But we are not interested in current mac models. (-:

regards,
jeffrey