[SunRescue] help in rehabbing some SS1, SS1+, IPC

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 19:54:20 CST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Steve Pacenka wrote:

> 1) Our SS1 and SS1+ units have a 9-pin D video jacks.  What kind of monitor
> might that connect to?  We have several Sun mono and color monitors but they

ECL monochrome (1-bit) 1152x900 or 1600x1200.  Old but reasonably sharp if
you can find good ones.

> all have only 13W3 inputs.  If I can't get the right monitor, do 1's and 1+'s
> work with a cgsix card (which I can move from a 2)?

Yes.

> 2) How does one remove the top from an IPC box when one of the press-in points
> on the side does not successfully disengage the metal clip inside?  I'd prefer
> not to cut or break anything.

I've had some luck using a small screwdriver inserted through a nearby air
vent hole and prying.  It is a weak point of the design and they will
stick if abused.

> 3) How does one remove the metal frame or plastic bottom of an IPC box
> so as to install a different HD?  I've been able to get the original
> 200M Maxtor drives out and get equal sized (1/3 height?) units in, via
> tilting, but I have some higher capacity 1/2 height drives to use and
> they will not fit.

There is one screw through the metal frame in the middle next to the
powersupply.  Remove it and the entire frame will pivot up from the edge
and can be removed.

It sounds like you have the late-rev (lower vibration) frame if you can
remove the drive at all without removing the bracket (slots cut for the
screws instead of holes).

-James