[SunRescue] Mixing 10 & 100Mbps Ethernet

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 22 11:48:59 CST 2001

On 2/21/01 at 5:44 PM, Michael Doyle <gmd at cypress.com> wrote:

>To all,
>
>A question for the future has occurred to me.  Given that many of our
>home networks of older computers have only 10Mbps Ethernet, I am
>wondering if these can be hooked up to the networks of our future 'old'
>computers that will have only 100Mbps, and eventually Gigabit Ethernet?

Most of the 100BaseT stuff I've seen is 10/100 (autonegotiate) and the nicer
stuff you can disable the autonegotiate. I've got a 10/100 hub at home with
all 10BaseT devices (Sun IPX, sparc10, etc.) and everything seems fine. At
work we have mixed 10BaseT devices on 10/100 switches without problems
(well, they get clobbered by the faster devices sometimes).

--
David Rouse                            * Our World - Your World - RouseWorld
david at rouseworld.org                   * www.rouseworld.org