[SunRescue] Solaris on an iPAQ?

Dan Lane rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 19 19:35:05 CST 2001

Patrick Giagnocavo sent the following on Mon, 19 Feb 2001...

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:37:53PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > Haw Haw Haw.
> >
> > I can't believe you said that... Why not WinNT/embedded?
> >
> > The Solaris Kernel would demand more resources than the iPaq
> > has - the iPaq has a non-supported platform (rewrite the kernel
> > to run on a 32 Meg palmtop w 200x200 color display?)...
>
> Are you sure that he isn't asking about the x86-based non-upgradeable
> boxes with built-in Ethernet?

I hope not... we run these at work as desktops for the "normal users".. I
tired to install linux on these a while back... USB everything (inc
keyboard) and laptop-style (if not actual laptop components) hot swappable devices.

I did manage to upgrade a machine to a PIII 800 w/256Mb ram and 2 40Gb
drives... although the only clever thing there was adding the extra drive.

Still... I would have thought solaris intel was warning enough that
Solaris shouldn't be ported at all!

Dan - talking bollocks late at night... again :(