[SunRescue] [OT] Dealing with the BSA?

Dan Lane rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 19 10:06:41 CST 2001

*raises his hand and sighs*

Yup, I had a run in with the BSA twice now, this is the british arm of the
BSA mind... same group though.

They are mainly after the big name, often pirated software, depending on
your company they'll pick a few PCs at random and have a good poke around.

I don't think they would know a Sun if it jumped out of a rack and bit
them on the arse.

They are the sort of dull people that understand Microsoft software
licensing... thats the scary part!

When we had them round I set the logon scripts to echo:

Forcing audit...
Updating software list...
Completed update
Knowledge base opened

This may take a while, please be patient... if you need
Help, please contact your administrator
Executing audit...

Beginning audit
Sofware identified as: GASP 6.0
Audit commencing....

and then it would pause for a bit... nobody noticed what is said if you
read the 1st letter of each line (is this an accrosstic or something silly
like that?) but I had a good laugh :)

--
Dan Lane (d at x11.net)

Web: http://www.logicbomb.net
PGP Key: http://www.logicbomb.net/pgpkey

Mike Hebel sent the following on Mon, 19 Feb 2001...